Tuesday, February 9, 2010

One egg wonder cake


My Granny used to make a pound cake called a One Egg Wonder Cake. It was so delicious that my mom would make it too. We would put strawberries and whipped cream on top and also pour milk over it. Aside from the milk part it became what my brother and I called Strawberry Shortcake. We loved this cake sooo much. Years ago I asked my dad for the recipe. He emailed it to me and I've been making to the delight of my friends and family. I use it for strawberry shortcake and for chocolate fondue. It is also tasty all by itself.

I'm not sure where this recipe came from but on my copy it says it was in my Grandma Ethel Estes' recipe box from my Great Aunt Dot.

Preheat oven 350 F. Grease 8 inch loaf pan or 8x8 cake pan.

2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

combine flour, baking powder and salt. (original recipe has you sift flour and then sift these ingredients three times. I never do.)

Cream butter, add sugar, cream until light, add egg and beat well.

Add flour mixture and milk alternating in small amounts - beating after each addition.

Add vanilla

Dump in greased loaf pan or 8x8 pan (I've never used 8x8 but it is said to be preferred.)

Bake 350 for 50 minutes - toothpick test to make sure it is done. (The 50 minutes is a guide. Adjust accordingly depending on what size and type of pan.)

Nutrition info:(8 servings) per serving: 293 Calories; 9g fat; 4g Protein; 49g carbohydrate; 1g Dietary fiber; 26mg cholesterol; 296mg sodium.

Well, for those who love my strawberry shortcake here it is! This is not a healthy recipes by any stretch of the imagination but... It sure beat frozen in a box and it tastes so so good! Thanks Dad for emailing me this so many years ago.

No comments: