New bread recipe. I was trying out a new bread recipe today and of course I couldn't just follow it! So now that it is baked I am trying to figure out just how I changed it. Here is what I think I did for my own archives but if you are interested in yummy homemade bread here's a good one.
4 1/2 tsp of active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (105-115F)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter
3 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups very warm water (120-130)
4 1/2 -5 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flax meal
1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1. Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water.
2. In large bowl mix honey, butter, salt and very warm water and then let cool for a few minutes
3. Beat 3 cups of whole wheat flour into honey mixture and then beat for a few min til it is nice and mixed.
4. Beat in all other flours and dissolved yeast mixture.
5. Then add the rest of flour a bit at a time and knead by hand ten minutes or if using electric mixer with hook like two or three maybe, until smooth and elastic.
6. Grease bowl and toss the dough in there then grease top of dough and cover with cloth. Let rise til doubled in size. I didn't check clock, my bad.
7. Punch down and split in half roll out on floured surface into a rectangle, roll up to fit into your regular sized bread pan. Grease pan and put dough in pans. Cover with towel and let rise again.
8. When doubled in size bake in preheated 375 oven for 30 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 and bake 10 ish minutes longer (until when tapped on it sounds hollow) Take bread out of pans to cooling racks. It is much easier to cut bread when it is cooled but hey if you are hungry who cares!
I think next time I will try this with less all purpose flour and honey and salt. We'll see how it goes. The family really likes it so it's a winner.