Thursday, August 14, 2008

Waxhaw, NC

Well, I am so excited about what we are learning here in Waxhaw. The most encouraging thing is that I (Jess) have had a desire to know and build relationships with people of other cultures since I was a sophomore in high school. The more people I get to know from other cultures the more of God I see. It is a whole new world view with each new friendship. The only reason I bring this up is to explain this. Mark and I may be going overseas to serve bible translation through aviation but there is more than that that is hard to explain. We are also going to learn a new language and through this build friendships and relationships with people. God is taking us to another country not just to fly but to be a light in their world. We are so excited! We have a lot to learn about other cultures and how to learn about them so that we can effectively communicate and not offend in their culture. We want to learn about them so we can be a light to them. Please pray for us as we are learning new things about who we are and who God is not just through our cultural eyes but through other peoples eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww, I wish we could have spent more time together before you guys left cause this is the stuff I actually went to college for! I majored in Intercultural Studies. :) My entire major was about how to assess, learn about, and integrate into other cultures. I have an entire box of books that could have been really useful to ya right about now. :) Its fascinating stuff and like you I LOVE seeing God bust out of the teeny tiny American Christian box we so easily limit him to! So excited for you guys!